It's the DAY!
Get all of your documents ready.
1. Outline what your rental deposit was and what amounts if any that you got back.
Be sure to say that your rental deposit was withheld in bad faith if that is the case.
2. Index all of your evidence. A, B, C, etc with an outline of each.
I had my email to the manager, screen shots of the texts, photos and video of the clean apartment, all copies of our communication etc.
The parking is cash only and $7. Get there early.
If you have time off, it's good to go see some trials to see what is the process like. Check to see when the times start.
It's on the 5th floor and bring a jacket or sweater if you get cold easily. They love to crank up the AC.
Check if your name is on the list. If it isn't go immediately to room 630 to inquire why.
The doors will not be open until the actual time. ex. 1:30pm
No cell phone use is tolerated so turn it off or put it on vibrate if you plan on showing evidence on it. It's better to have everything printed out. I had photos printed so I didn't have to fumble with a device.
They will do roll call. You will say "Present" or "Here" after you hear your name.
They will have a mediator present if you both choose to mediate. You can sign up for mediation prior to entering the court if you prefer that.
You then have 5-10mins to share your evidence with the other side. You can not take pics of their evidence but you can see what they will present and vice versa so it's not a TV show where you can spring a surprise piece of evidence on them.
This was the tough part for me as I had to see the landlord and manager again. Ugh! But deep breaths and stay strong. Keep your story short and to the point. The judge or presiding official has a lot of cases to go through and time may run out that they won't be able to hear yours and you'll have to come back again!
All the cases where is is a no-show on one side is called first. You still have to present your case even if the other side doesn't show if you are the plaintiff. The judge can either decided then and there or mull over the case and mail in the judgement.
The other side asked for a "real" judge but this is your case, you can accept the presiding official as they have more than qualified.
In my case, the landlord was trying to keep my rental deposit saying that I didn't give notice and that they needed to do two cleanings - one was a deep steam clean on the carpets and the other was an overall apt cleaning with blinds.
Thankfully, I had my evidence ready and organized. And I won!!!
However, I learned that I should have had listed what my deposit was and what I got back in return and to say what I was owed. I didn't do that so the judge miscalculated what I was owed but I didn't care since it was still a big part of it and I won!
If the other side loses, it's a big ding to their credit for 7 years. It will show up on their record as well so they definitely don't want to lose.
The landlord was trying to bully me into dropping the case and told me I would lose. Even in court, she called me lazy. I tried to keep my calm even though I was really nervous. It's such negative energy but I believe in standing up for my rights. Not everyone will be able to take time off form work or deal with the hassle and landlords count on that to keep your deposit.
When you win though - it's the most amazing feeling ever!
Tip: Do not address the other party in court - always focus on talking to the judge.
No comments:
Post a Comment